When the flexible cuff is delivered, it can be used right away. The Velcro of the flexible cuff is on the outside and the metal bracket will not touch your arm.
If this is not the case and the end of the flexible cuff has come loose from the metal bracket, you can fix this yourself very easily. The cuff can be slid back over the metal bracket. Make sure that the smooth side of the cuff is on the inside of the loop.
To use the flexible cuff, you can follow the steps below.
1. Make sure your upper arm is free. For the best measurement, do not wear tight-fitting or thick clothing on the upper arm;
2. Sit upright in a chair with your feet flat on the floor;
3. Place your arm on the table and make sure the cuff is at the same height as your heart;
4. Put your arm through the loop of the cuff. Which arm you use for this depends on the blood pressure monitor. Read the instructions for this. For the Omron blood pressure monitor this is the left arm;
5. The bottom of the cuff should be about 1 to 2 centimeters (about the thickness of your index or middle finger) above the elbow;
6. Make sure that the air tube runs over the center of the forearm towards your middle finger;
7. Place your hand with the palm open upward on the table;
8. Pull the end of the cuff so that it fits snugly around the arm at both the top and bottom;
9. Close the Velcro securely, but not too tightly. You know the cuff is properly fitted when you can barely fit two fingers between the cuff and your arm. This space is certainly needed for an accurate measurement;
10. Relax completely. Do not squeeze your hand but let it lie quietly;
11. Check that there is no kink in the air hose and that your arm is not resting on the air hose while you are measuring blood pressure;
12. Press the start button to start the blood pressure measurement.
Read here continue if you want to know the difference between a flexible cuff and a preformed cuff.